Video Toyobaru 2021: Subaru BRZ / Toyota GR86 - H4 2.4 N/A 231 cv

Tema en 'Foro General BMW' iniciado por cybermad, 24 Feb 2019.

1. antuan

antuan Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    :goodpost:

Te defraudó su escasa potencia, elegiste cantidad, no te engañes.

Es extraño que se haya vendido tan poco. El mx5 esta siendo un exito ventas con una formula bastante parecida.

A smash y Gulf627 les gusta esto.
  2. Sechs

Sechs CEO DOS CFA Moderador Miembro del Club

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Fardier Cugnot
    Ya me empezaba a preocupar por Antuan. Pero veo que todo sigue en su lugar.

A Csar le gusta esto.
  3. v6tresdos

v6tresdos Forista Legendario

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    A3 3.2/ Mazda 3
    Tengo que probarlo, no me queda de otra. Yo a priori por potencia lo comparo a mi Mazda 3 de 190cv y tienen prestaciones similares. Mi Mazda se me hace lento de narices. Ya se que este coche es para diversión y no correr pero creedme que aquí puedo exprimir hasta el ultimo cv y las sensaciones que se pueden tener son extremas por el mal estado de las vías, incorporaciones, curvas...

Es mas, voy a llamar al concesionario ahora a ver si lo tienen y voy a probarlo. (solo tienen el BRZ el Toyota no existe aqui)

Última edición: 27 Ago 2019
  4. v6tresdos

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    A3 3.2/ Mazda 3
    Yo probé bien el anterior de 160cv y no se movía mal pero no me gustaba nada la suspensión, muy barco

5. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Hay nueva alianza Toyota/Subaru y confirmado que habrá segunda generación de toyobaru :devil:

Toyota and Subaru Agree on New Business and Capital Alliance
    Tokyo, Japan, September 27, 2019―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) and Subaru Corporation (Subaru) agreed today on a new business and capital alliance with the aim of further developing and strengthening their long-term partnership.

Ever since concluding an agreement on business collaboration in 2005, partnership between Toyota and Subaru has included contract production by Subaru of Toyota vehicles and supply by Toyota of vehicles to Subaru, as well as joint development of the rear-wheel-drive Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ sports car models.

Also, with vast changes enveloping the automotive industry, which is being called on to respond to the new domains of CASE (connected, autonomous/automated, shared, and electric), Toyota and Subaru disclosed in June this year that they have agreed to jointly develop a platform dedicated to battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and to jointly develop a BEV model, both of which will employ Subaru's AWD technologies and Toyota's vehicle electrification technologies.

In this once-in-a-century period of profound transformation, by strengthening their bonds and aligning their capabilities, Toyota and Subaru aim to pursue driving enjoyment in the CASE era and to make ever-better cars beyond what either company has been able to achieve thus far. Furthermore, to deepen their relationship and to strengthen their ties toward advancing to the next stage while respecting the identity of each other's brand, the two companies have agreed that Toyota will increase its equity stake in Subaru and that Subaru will acquire shares in Toyota.

Details of business activities in the new alliance
    1. In pursuit of making ever-better cars beyond that achieved thus far by Toyota and Subaru
    1. Bringing together both companies' strengths to jointly develop all-wheel-drive models that offer the ultimate sensation in all-wheel driving
    2. Joint development of the next-generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ
    1. Expansion of the scope of partnership to survive this once-in-a-century period of profound transformation
    1. Following the Crosstrek Hybrid*, expanding use of the Toyota Hybrid System in other Subaru models
    2. Cooperation in the domain of connected vehicles and technical collaboration in the field of autonomous driving
    *Currently available only in the North American market. (Crosstrek is the North American model name of Subaru XV.)

Details of capital ties in the new alliance
    Toyota acquisition of Subaru shares Subaru acquisition of Toyota shares
    Number of shares to be acquired

Shares up to an amount that will result in Toyota having a total of 20 percent of voting rights in Subaru (Based on the status of Subaru shares as of March 31, 2019, the number would be 24,289,500 Subaru shares, which would be equal to 3.17 percent of Subaru voting rights.)

Note
    Based on the planned acquisition of shares announced today, the additional shares to be acquired by Toyota would increase Toyota's current 16.83 percent of voting rights in Subaru to a minimum of 20 percent, with Subaru foreseen to become an affiliated company of Toyota.
    Shares equivalent to the monetary amount (up to 80 billion yen) necessary for Toyota to acquire Subaru shares as described on the left
    Acquisition method Purchase on the market and/or purchase through a negotiation transaction
    Acquisition timing Scheduled to be acquired upon approval of competition authorities
    Commenting on today's agreement, Toyota President Akio Toyoda said: "During this once-in-a-century period of profound transformation, even if CASE changes how cars will be, driving enjoyment will remain an inherent part of automobiles and is something that I think we must continue to strongly preserve. I, myself, am a rallyist, and, through my experience of training hard in an Impreza, I have felt in my veins the wonders of Subaru's AWD technologies. Meanwhile, we at Toyota have been going all out to hone our all-wheel-drive technologies by participating in the World Rally Championship, among other activities. Our companies, both of which have long pursued driving enjoyment, now want to pursue the possibilities of making ever-better cars suitable for the CASE era by bringing together our strengths and by further deepening our relationship."

Subaru President Tomomi Nakamura said: "Between our company and Toyota is an alliance that already has a history of 14 years. During this time, we have deepened our bonds in various fields such as product development, production, and sales, including through personnel exchanges. By taking our relationship one step further and mutually honing our technologies, we will strengthen our ability to respond to CASE and other demands, and will accelerate our shared aspirations for making ever-better cars. This new step in our alliance with Toyota will lead to enhancing 'Enjoyment and Peace of Mind' that Subaru is committed to deliver; and I am confident that our customers will love what we offer through these efforts."

A Sechs le gusta esto.
  6. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
  7. Nanouk

Nanouk Forista Legendario

Me Gusta:

Eso es un photoshop como una casa, ¿no?

Bueno, después del supra y sus sutiles cambios, que tanto lo afearon a mi parecer, tampoco le haría mucho caso a las idas de olla de los render.

8. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Ahora dicen que Toyota lo llamará GR86 en lugar de GT86, por Gazoo Racing, y que llevará un boxer Subaru 4 cilindros 2.4 turbo 260 cv...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/next-gen-toyota-gt86subaru-brz-way-more-power

Next-gen Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ on the way with more power
    New sports car could have 255bhp+ generated by a Subaru 'Boxer' engine and will be built on Toyota’s TNGA platform

[​IMG]
    13 January 2020

Toyota and Subaru are ramping up development of a successor to the GT86 and BRZ sports cars – and Autocar has learned that the Toyota version will be rebranded as the GR86.

The GT86 and BRZ were launched in 2012, and their future had been in doubt because of relatively low sales. But both companies have committed to developing a replacement, with the Toyota version a key part of the brand’s growing performance car line-up.

Toyota boss Akio Toyoda is a major proponent of using performance models to boost the brand’s image under the Gazoo Racing division, which also includes Toyota’s various motorsport programmes.

[​IMG]

The original GT86 pre-dated the creation of that brand, which started with the GR Supra and will also include the GR Yaris, the first model developed purely by Gazoo Racing. The next GT86 is set to be rebranded to bring it in line with that nomenclature.

The next-gen sports car will feature some substantial changes from the existing model. While the original was built on a Subaru platform, the firm’s current architectures are not suited to rear-drive cars, so Autocar understands the new model is set to be built on Toyota’s TNGA platform.

While Toyota underpinnings will be used, Subaru is expected to once again take the lead with powertrain development. Autocar understands the car is likely to retain a flat-four ‘Boxer’ engine, with reports in Japan suggesting that the existing 2.0-litre naturally aspirated unit will be switched for the turbocharged 2.4-litre powerplant currently used in the Ascent, Legacy and Outback models.

That engine produces 255bhp in the Ascent, a figure that would represent a significant upgrade on the outgoing model’s output. Forced induction would also provide a substantial torque upgrade over the old car, too, providing a draw for those who weren’t satisfied with the performance of the outgoing GT86 and BRZ. Both brands may wish to retain the drivability and character of a naturally aspirated unit, but this needs to be balanced with what buyers are demanding – and that appears to be the on-tap grunt of a turbocharged unit.

[​IMG]

Toyota and Subaru will also want to improve the aesthetic appeal of the new car, both inside and out. The old GT86 and BRZ were widely criticised for their low-rent cabin, so expect improvements in technology, material usage and fit and finish. Whether or not the model becomes more of a true four-seater in order to really help it stand up against more practical rivals remains to be seen.

Such changes – particularly the power upgrade – would be likely to see the price of both cars increase. However, both brands will be conscious of the close proximity of more premium models, such as the Audi TT and BMW Z4. Toyota won’t want to tread on the toes of its own Supra, either, particularly in Japan where a four-cylinder version of the reborn sports car is offered.

The second-generation BRZ and GT86 will build on expanding links between Subaru and Toyota. As well as the sports car, the two firms are teaming up to develop a new EV platform and electric SUV.

Toyota weighs up sports hybrids

Toyota is considering hybrid versions of future performance car models – but only once the weight of the systems are reduced.

The Japanese firm is in the process of electrifying all of its models, with a heavy focus on hybrid systems. But the new GR Yaris will only be offered with a three-cylinder, 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine, despite 80% of Yaris sales expected to be hybrid.

[​IMG]

Naohiko Sato, chief engineer of the GR Yaris, said that while a hybrid system would fit in the car and was under evaluation, Toyota didn’t believe it was currently suitable for performance cars.

“Right now, if we chose an electrified powertrain for a sports car, it would be heavier,” said Sato. “We decided it’s not the right way to go right now. Maybe when the technology gets better and we have new technology allowing lighter powertrains, it could be good.

“Right now, the Prius and RAV4 plug-in hybrids can have big batteries because they’re not sports cars, but it is best not to have a big battery for a sports car.”

The Gazoo Racing range

[​IMG]

Toyota GR Super Sports - arriving in 2021: Road-legal version of forthcoming Le Mans racer will serve as range-topping ‘halo’ model, built in very small numbers.

[​IMG]

GR Yaris - arriving in late 2020: Four-wheel-drive, 247bhp-plus hot hatch brings World Rally Championship learnings to Yaris range.

Article continues below advertisement
    [​IMG]

GR Supra - on sale now: Famed two-seat grand tourer has been reborn through partnership with BMW.

[​IMG]

GR86 - arriving in 2021 (estimate): Second generation of rear-wheel-drive coupé will be brought in line with new GR branding.

A SP_Kenny le gusta esto.
  9. *NANO*

*NANO* Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    LFA,MC12,F1
    Esto se pone MUY interesante.

Ojito, que como mantengan el peso, con un chispazo suave lo dejas en 300 caballos.

A SP_Kenny le gusta esto.
  10. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Toyota Insider Reveals Future For 86
    The second-generation 86 that has been confirmed by Toyota and Subaru as another sports car tie-up is reportedly scheduled to come out in July 2021 and go on sale as a 2022MY. That’s all the info he has on the rear-wheel-drive coupe, but the latest intel suggests it’ll be sold as a “GR 86” with around 255 turbocharged horses and an improved interior with better materials.

Ya podían sacarlo parecido al Sports concept, con su techo targa...:whistle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Parece que sacan los toyobarus el año que viene como modelo 2022, han cazado este en la planta de Subaru en Japón con el H4 2.4 FA24 del Legacy pero sin turbo, dejando un atmosférico de 220 cv :pompous:

It looks like the next gen twins are launching early next year as a 2022 model

Manufactured again at Subaru's Gunma assembly plant in Japan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/161995

エンジンは現在の2L(FA20型、6MTは207ps/20.9kgm)から排気量アップされた2.4L 水平対向4気筒「FA24」を搭載する. 北米で販売されているアセントやレガシィに搭載されているのはFA24型水平対向4気筒ターボだが、新型8 6&BRZはターボではなくNAで、最高出力は220ps程度になる見込み. 21.6kgm(6MT)の最大トルクは24.5kgm程度となり、発生回転は現在の6400rpmから5 500rpm付近に引き下げられ、より中速域でのトルクを増大させる. これはATとのマッチングをより高めるためで、北米マーケットでのAT需要とともに、アイサイト搭載に向け た狙いもある. もちろん6速MTモデルも設定されるが、ATでのスポーティな走りも新型86/BRZの魅力と なる. 新型86&BRZの発売は2021年3月を予定している。期待して待っていよう!

Google Translate:

The engine is equipped with a 2.4L horizontally opposed four-cylinder FA24 whose displacement has been increased from the current 2L (FA20). The FA24 type horizontally opposed four-cylinder turbo is installed in Ascent and Legacy sold in North America, but the new 86 & BRZ is NA instead of turbo, and the maximum output is expected to be about 220 ps. Maximum torque of about 24.5 kgm (6 M/T) and the generated rotation is reduced from the current 6400 rpm to around 5500 rpm, increasing the torque in the medium speed range. This is to improve matching with the A/T and there is also an aim to install EyeSight along with A/T demand in the North American market. Of course, a 6-speed M/T model is also set, but sporty driving with an A/T is also an attraction of the new 86/BRZ. The new 86 & BRZ will be released in March 2021. Wait in anticipation!

Specs from Best Car Japan: next gen vs. current model

Length
    Width
    Height
    Wheelbase
    Weight (manual~auto) 2756 lbs M/T (current USDM base 86 M/T weighs 2776 lbs) (BRZ tS weighs 2833 lbs)

Engine Code FA24
    Displacement 2.4 L
    220 ps = 217 HP
    24.5 kgm = 177 lb-ft of Torque @ 5500 RPM

[​IMG]

スバルが積極的に推進する「2030年までに交通死亡事故ゼロ」に向けて、アイサイトの搭載は 急務. いち早く現行型BRZを販売終了するのも、アイサイト非搭載が一因との証言もある. 当然、次期型BRZにはアイサイトが搭載され、86にも同様のシステムが採用されることとなる .

It is an urgent task to equip Subaru with the aim of "zero traffic fatal accidents by 2030" that Subaru is actively promoting.

There are also testimonies that the current BRZ was discontinued as soon as possible, partly because Eyesight was not installed.

Naturally, the next BRZ will be equipped with EyeSight, and a similar system will be adopted for the 86.

2020年4月上旬、東京スバルは「BRZの7月受注終了」を明らかにした.これに関してスバル本社も認め ており2020年7月20日をもってBRZの受注は終了する.

At the beginning of April 2020, Tokyo Subaru announced that it will end orders for BRZ in July. Subaru Headquarters has also accepted this, and BRZ orders will end on July 20, 2020.

そしてBCスクープ班がつかんだ内外装の最終デザイン。いよいよ「次期型86/BRZ」がデビューに向けた カウントダウンに入ったことを実感させられる。その詳細に迫っていこう. 新型86/BRZ、基本プラットフォームは現行型のキャリーオーバーといわれているが、当然ながらスバルの 新型プラットフォーム「SGP」の知見が随所に生かされ、低重心、軽量、高剛性で、ここにこれまでの86/ BRZからフィードバックされたシャシーチューニングが盛り込まれる. ホイールベースは現行型同様の2570mmで、フロント/ストラット、リア/ダブルウィッシュボーンのサス 形式も同じ。全長4250mm、全幅1780mm、全高1315mmのボディサイズもほぼ現行型と同サイズ だ.

The final design of the interior and exterior that the Best Car Scoop team grasped, you can finally feel that the "Next-generation 86/BRZ" has entered the countdown for its debut. Let's get closer to the details.

With the new 86/BRZ, the basic platform is said to be a current carryover, but of course the knowledge of Subaru's new "SPG" platform is utilized everywhere. It has a low center of gravity, light weight and high rigidity. Chassis tuning fed back from the 86 & BRZ is included.

The wheelbase is the same as the current model (2570 mm) and the front struts, rear double wishbone suspension type is also the same. Body length of 4250 mm, width 1780 mm, height 1315 mm is almost the same as the current model.

vvv BRZ FMC (Full Model Change) starts production in Spring of 2021, likely as a 2022 Model vvv

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ann Arbor, Michigan (August 2020)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chamadyco, chezztos, Forever7 y otra persona les gusta esto.
  12. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
  13. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Muy buena pinta :chulo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chamadyco, chezztos, Guancho y otra persona les gusta esto.
  14. SP_Kenny

SP_Kenny Forista Legendario Miembro del Club

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Leon ST FR 1.8
    Unete a BMW FAQ Club Unete a BMW FAQ Club Unete a BMW FAQ Club
    Esa trasera no, por favor...

15. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Son chop y muy parecidos a los actuales...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Última edición: 10 Ago 2020
  16. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    También se da un aire al Gazoo Racing MN Sport FR, un concept presentado en 2013... y eso cuadra con lo que se confirmó ya hace un año, que en vez de llamarse GT86 va a ser GR86...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Será más civilizado, sin alirón, BBS, 4 escapes ni estos bonitos baquets...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Última edición: 10 Ago 2020
    A chamadyco le gusta esto.
  17. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A chamadyco y SP_Kenny les gusta esto.
  18. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Chop del interior, basado en el actual y con el volante del Supra...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A smash le gusta esto.
  19. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Este tiene mejor pinta, sobre todo la trasera...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A chamadyco, Forever7 y davidW les gusta esto.
  20. smash

smash Forista Legendario

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    E34&M30B35
    Pinta bien. Me alegro que todavía haya gente de este perfil que compre estos coches.

21. mfabreg3

mfabreg3 Forista Legendario

Me Gusta:
    El simple hecho de continuar con este concepto de coche, motor H y configuración RWD ya es una buena noticia. No hay nada parecido en el mercado en su rango de precios.

22. v6tresdos

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    A3 3.2/ Mazda 3
    Que buena pinta tiene ese. Delantera muy jaguar y trasera de Hyundai Genesis

23. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Ahora han cazado al nuevo Subaru BRZ de pruebas... con un Mustang :chulo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A chamadyco y SP_Kenny les gusta esto.
  25. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Parece que se ve el intercooler del H4 2.4 turbo 260 cv FA24... :pompous:

All-New 2022 Subaru BRZ Spied Testing Next To Mustang And It Might Be Turbocharged

Shortly after the first sighting of the next-generation Toyobaru twins, our spies spotted a fully camouflaged prototype being tested on public roads together with a Ford Mustang.

The 2022 Subaru BRZ test car you see in the pictures remains fully covered with the classic wrap but upon closer inspection, everything looks pretty much production-ready underneath.

The next generation BRZ/86 models will adopt a much cleaner design language, featuring better-integrated headlights and taillights and a big grille upfront which looks like it’s hiding one of the biggest changes over the previous model.

[​IMG]
    A closer look at the grille suggests that there’s an intercooler hiding behind
    Yep, that looks like an intercooler to us, which means the engine under the bonnet is turbocharged. Previous reports suggested that the new Subaru BRZ / Toyota GR 86 will be powered by the former’s 260 HP 2.4-liter turbo FA24 unit found in models like the Legacy and Ascent.

The turbocharged engine will be paired to a manual transmission as standard, just like the current models, with an automatic option also available. A limited-slip differential at the rear will be also present.

[​IMG]

The test car looks pretty compact, especially next to the Ford Mustang which we assume it’s there as a benchmark. We can’t tell for sure if the new generation BRZ will ride on a new Toyota TNGA platform or if it’s going to use a heavily revised version of the outgoing model but the most trustworthy sources on the matter talk about the former.

The interior is expected to retain its sporty character, with a high center console and a simple design for the dashboard. Of course, there will be a new, more modern infotainment system with a bigger touchscreen display and all the necessary connectivity options but that’s about it in order to keep the new BRZ/GR 86 at a safe distance from the Supra.

Subaru and Toyota are expected to reveal the new BRZ/GR 86 next year for the 2022 model year, so expect to see more camouflaged test cars being driven on public roads before their official reveal.

26. BLUEBIRD

BLUEBIRD Forista Senior

Me Gusta:
    Qué bueno que sigan con el concepto original, para mí es el único coche de aficionado de verdad a un precio y coste de uso razonable. Y casi que si es el atmosférico con 220cv mejor.

27. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    A mi también me tira más, pero lo suyo es que sacaran las 2 motorizaciones, H4 2.4 n/a 220 cv y H4 2.4 turbo 260 cv, no les costaría nada ya que ese motor ya lo tienen, así habría para elegir y comparar.

28. BLUEBIRD

BLUEBIRD Forista Senior

Me Gusta:
    El turbo y el aumento de potencia es que siempre trae complicaciones añadidas, menos fiabilidad, menos aguante, más goma, más freno, más peso...Al final las cuentas salen y correrá bastante más en cómputo general, pero puede comprometer el coste de rodar con él y la pureza que aporta a fin de cuentas de un motor de altas rpm atmosférico.

29. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    Ya, si por supuesto que yo prefiero el atmosférico, pero no estaría mal que sacasen ambos motores para que no tenga las mismas críticas de que anda escaso de potencia y así poder contentar también a los +turbados... igual era lo que necesita para triunfar en ventas y además serían muy interesantes las comparativas n/a - turbo.

30. cybermad

cybermad Clan Leader

Me Gusta:
    Modelo:
    Z3 2.8 / GR86
    [​IMG]

2022 Subaru BRZ: Refined New Looks, Powertrains & Everything Else We Know
    AUGUST 29, 2020

It’s hard to believe Subaru’s BRZ has been around since 2012. Often the more overlooked twin of the Toyota/Subaru partnership (affectionately called ‘Toyobaru’), the BRZ has been slowly selling in the background whilst Subaru’s more traditional all-wheel-drive offerings have been selling up a storm.

So when news broke that the BRZ and Toyota GR86 were getting a second-generation reboot, it was met with surprise – especially as today’s COVID climate is putting the brakes on many new car programs. And even more so the ones that don’t provide substantial revenue.

Nonetheless, Fuji Heavy Industries has been putting the final touches on its redesigned sports car, with test mules snapped wearing some rather revealing camouflage. So let’s digitally peel off the covers and investigate what else we can expect.

Finessed Appearances

At first glance, you could swear that it’s just a major facelift of the current car. Sure, the proportions are similar yet every body panel is all-new. The front end has an elegant simplicity about it, with an oblique grille, vertical side intakes and subdued front fenders.

There’s more than a whiff of Lexus RC in profile, with angular rear quarter glass and sculptured rocker panels that merge into the front fender vents. The rear haunches are less pronounced than the out-going car; here the sheet metal cascades over the rear wheels and it sports an oddly-shaped fuel flap.

[​IMG]

Changes to the rear consist of a glass that now tapers in towards the duck-tailed trunk and C-clamp LED taillights feature a full-width horizontal strip to emphasize width. A large W-shaped diffuser contrasts with the body and encompasses a pair of large exhausts.

A Nicer Place To Be

As functional as the 86/BRZ twins are, interior presentation is certainly not their strong point, although they don’t get to Nissan 370Z levels of tiredness. Nonetheless, we can expect a similar amount of occupant space coupled with better quality materials, infotainment & connectivity and Subaru’s latest EyeSight driver-assist system.

Underpinning its fresh new appearance is an updated version of the current BRZ platform. Although moving to Toyota’s TNGA architecture had been mooted, such an action would be too costly for the limited volumes that the BRZ and 86 generate. Expect to see a similar suspension setup aided by a stiffer body and lighter materials.

Will It Be Turbocharged?

Conflicting conjecture surrounds the implementation of forced induction; Subaru’s fans are asking for it, however, some media outlets are reporting that it’ll stay normally aspirated. Either way, the most likely candidate will be Subaru’s 2.4-litre FA24 – a turbocharged four-cylinder boxer making 260 hp (194 kW) and 277 lb-ft (376 Nm) of torque. Rumors suggest this could be tweaked as high as 300 hp in STi versions.

Other candidates could include the normally-aspirated FA20 2.0-litre boxer four from the current BRZ, or Subaru’s new CB18 1.8-litre turbocharged four that debuted in the all-new Levorg wagon. The latter produces 175 horsepower and 221 pound-feet of torque and would serve as an ideal entry point into the new BRZ range, especially if tweaked – which shouldn’t prove that difficult. Like before, power will be fed to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual transmission or a 6-speed automatic.

Rivals & Reveal

Subaru’s second-generation BRZ will naturally go up against its Toyota GR86 twin and other worthy sports coupes such as Hyundai’s Veloster, Ford’s Ecoboost Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro 2.0L Turbo, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Toyota Supra 2.0L, Nissan’s 370Z and, eventually, the upcoming 400Z.

[​IMG]
    Toyota’s version of the 2022 BRZ pictured above might be named the GR86 adding another model to its expanding Gazoo Racing portfolio after the GR Supra and GR Yaris

We could see the production model making its debut as soon as the end of this year, though early 2021 sounds more plausible at this point. Either way, both the BRZ and 86 will likely be marketed as 2022MYs, with potent STi variants tipped to launch at a later date.

Do you think Subaru and Toyota have done enough to redesign the BRZ and 86? Share your views in the comments below.

A Soberano le gusta esto.

Compartir esta página